Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Green Team on the Scene : Illusions Mardi Gras 2008

Note: If you want to see the images better, click them!

Green here, attempting to use the blogging feature correctly. Very fussy feature to edit in blogger, especially when you're trying to ad multiple pictures together. I'll try tackling that another time.

Anyways, so me and Machine attended the Illusions Mardi Gras Masquerade this past Saturday evening in the sim of Carnivale. It was hosted by the incredible Siyu Suen (and I'm not just saying that because I won like four masks randomly). Her stream was a bit odd - not due to her music choice, but I couldn't hear her voice - so I didn't have that on too much. It was a lovely celebration, though, and I got to rub a few elbows.

I found out that another Miss Amazing, Jen Shikami, likes roleplay. So, insert fan-girl scream here. I mean, really, Jen is such an fantastic creator and all-around person, and now I find she's into roleplay?! Be still my heart, or I may gush over and yammer her ear off. I might have talked too much with her, Scar, and some others on the subject when it came up, showing how much of a nerd I was. But we also discussed how we attended classes in college, ranging from making paper up to taking notes on laptops. In a way, discussing such topics at a Fat Tuesday dance is more surprising than flashing for beads. But then again, this is Second Life and this was hosted by the marvelous Mask Lady herself.

I was surprised that the King and Queen masks, while very elegant, Perhaps I'm more used to thinkingweren't more showy. of the street carnivale, with huge feathers and flamboyant colors everywhere. I was expecting something of a large head-dress like a showgirl, but we were presented with something flashy yet refined. My feelings are mixed, but I wouldn't say either were total let-downs. The small tuft-crown of feathers on both are very well textured, and the gold center with its detail is gorgeous. And I'm jazzed Siyu is selling her hair. It was righteous!

If there is anything I could rant about, it would be the selection of the Queen. Obviously, I'm sad it wasn't me, but that's not my focus (I got a brilliant green dress out of this, as well as dressed my man up AND put butt-feathers on him- I think I'm an automatic winner). And yes, Sparkle Skye was very beautiful in her garb, and I don't wish any ill upon her.

But she was pink.

Call me color-picky, but the colors for Mardi Gras are green, purple, and gold. Sparkle had a touch of violet and that was it. Pink. And she did not have really any beads (unless you count the buds in her wings) or feathers to link back to the common aspects of the holiday. She was a gorgeous representation of spring, regrowth, and the coming holiday of love... but really didn't strike me as Maiden of Mardi Gras, which, to me, should be bold, brilliant, and potentially sinful behind the mask. It's the celebration before Lent, the season in which you have to repent and be respectful and all that goody-too-shoes stuff. Bel looked the part- he was dressed in vibrant violet and neon green with a great slouching top-hat. Other notables that really fit the bill were Scar, Jen, and two harlequins whom I missed the names of.

So, if I could be upset with anyone, it would be with people who just vote on 'pretty' rather than looking at the whole picture. And though this disappointed me, I really enjoyed the overall evening, and I look forward to the next event I go to.

Edit: Added small, ugly thumbnails through blogger. :P

No comments: